I've been fiddling with this for a while, so it's time to share: A google maps layer that shows the Vergeside rubbish collection areas for the whole Perth metropolitan area. This is pretty useful to anyone around Perth who're looking for some free furniture or appliances, as well as to those just wondering when their next vergeside collection is.
I'll update this post with relevant data as it changes.
How it works and notes:
- Click here to get to the full version of the map. It's easier to work with than the embedded version below.
- On the left you have the various collection zones/councils with the next known collection date. Flick through the pages to see the rest of the zones, as google maps won't display them all at once by default.
- The date represents when the collection itself starts, not when to start putting things out.
- You can save this map directly in your google profile by hitting the save to my places button.
- You can export the map data as KML if you want and do anything you like with it. It should work with most mapping applications that support layers.
- This works great on your mobile phone. It works with Google Maps for Blackberry and Android, Google Earth for iOS, and it should work with any map software that supports google layers or importing kml data. Combined with your phones GPS, it's pretty handy when you're in the field.
- This is a work in progress, and there's bound to be gaps and occasional errors. Local councils often provide patchy data.
- For similar projects try Freecycle Perth , Free items on gumtree, and the Perth Kerbside Collection Facebook page.
- If you have any suggestions or updated information, email me or add a comment below.
- I can't believe I'm putting this in, but it keeps coming up: If you want to interview me about verge collecting or the map, emailing me the questions is the easiest and most reliable way to get a response.
View Perth Bulk Rubbish in a larger map
Local Government Areas currently mapped:
Click on a council to see their information page about bulk rubbish.
- City of Canning
- City of Cockburn
- City of Fremantle
- City of Joondalup
- City of Mandurah
- City of Melville
- City of Nedlands
- City of Perth
- City of Rockingham
- City of South Perth
- City of Stirling
- City of Subiaco
- City of Swan
- City of Vincent
- City of Wanneroo
- Town of Bassendean
- Town of Cambridge
- Town of Claremont
- Town of Cottesloe
- Town of East Fremantle
- Town of Kwinana
- Town of Mosman Park
- Town of Victoria Park
- Shire of Mundaring
- Shire of Peppermint Grove
Local Government Areas currently lacking data:
If you have one of the council verge collection pamphlets for these areas, please let me know
- City of Bayswater - NO VERGE COLLECTION
- City of Belmont - NO VERGE COLLECTION
- City of Armadale - Only distributes pamphlets to houses?
- City of Gosnells - Mapping data difficult to extract
- Shire of Kalamunda - NO VERGE COLLECTION, replaced with skip bins.
Using this on the move:
- Sign into your google account and save the map above to your account. This will allow you to access it from any program that supports layers.
- If you have an android phone, use the built-in google maps. When you go to load layers, it will appear on the list of options.
- If you have a blackberry phone, install google maps for Blackberry. You can sign into your account via the menu and load layers.
- If you have an iPhone/iPad, install Google earth. Sign into your google account, and load the layers from there.
Here's a screenshot of what the ipad version looks like on the move - The blue dot is your current location. It makes it damn easy to work out the edges of verge pickup.